Monday, April 18, 2005

Welcome to Bike Badges!

Welcome to Bike Badges, my growing photo collection of bicyle Head-Badges.
This project started about a year ago when I noticed how many cool & classic bicycles there were in and around East Greenwich Village in New York City. I started taking close up pictures of just the head-badges, which I feel is often the most unique part of a bicycle's manufacture and design. A "head-badge" is the little label on the very front of the bike that tells you what kind of bike it is; it bears the name the manufacturer and sometimes a model name. It is located on the "head-tube" that connects the handlebars and headset to the front wheel fork. Traditionally, the head-badge was just that, a little metal badge that was riveted onto the frame. More modern bikes now have a sticker or decal in this spot. (I prefer the real metal badges myself) Here they are in no particular order, and I've added historical details about the bikes when I was able to research them. As you may have guessed, I love bikes, so please enjoy and I welcome your comments and any facts, figures, corrections or history you'd like to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home